Fighting For Every Last Dollar On Every Last Claim

When You’ve Lost So Much After A Hurricane

As a resident of Alabama and a former insurance defense attorney, I have a profound understanding of both the loss you have suffered and the battle you face getting compensation from the insurance company. When you work with Prestwood Law Firm, you work directly with me, every step of the way. Together, we will take the necessary steps to ensure that your insurer follows through on the terms of the policy.

What Does Hurricane Insurance Cover?

Every property insurance policy is different, so it is important to read every word in your policy. Some policies are very basic and do not cover flood damage from a storm surge or sewer backup. This will limit the amount you can pursue in your property insurance claim. Other policies do have hurricane, wind and flood insurance coverage, or these may have been purchased in addition to the original policy. When you read through your policy, you will want to determine:

  • If you have wind, flood, sewer backup and hurricane coverage
  • If your policy covers the full value of your property: does it cover the price you paid for it years ago (actual cash value) or does it cover the current replacement cost?
  • What your deductible is: some claims have a higher deductible for hurricane damage
  • The limits of your policy to determine the maximum compensation you are able to receive

An attorney who works in insurance for the plaintiff or policyholder will be able to tell you what your rights are, what your policy says about benefits (if the insurance company is illegally denying your claim, creating unnecessary red tape or undervaluing your property) and what you can do about it. Having worked for the insurance companies for seven years, I know how they try to pay out nothing or as little as possible. This is what is often called “bad faith” insurance. I also know how to prevent this and the effective ways to stand up for and pursue what was promised.

Federal Aid May Also Be An Option

An insurance policy is one way to pursue and collect compensation for a lost home or business. There are also two federal programs that may be worth looking into if you lost property during a hurricane, tornado or another natural disaster. These are the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The U.S. Small Business Administration may have low-interest, long-term loans available to business and homeowners as well as renters.

Hurricane Help Is Here

After a disaster, it can be overwhelming to sort out receipts, go through files and put together a claim. When the insurance company denies or wants to pay out less, you may want to get legal support. At Prestwood Law Firm, I offer a free consultation so that you can better understand your options and rights. Call 251-929-4092 or send me an email requesting a consult. Located in Fairhope, I serve Alabama clients throughout Baldwin and Mobile counties.